Sunday, January 4, 2009

"O! call back yesterday, bid time return."

What do you mean, it's 2009 already?!

But I haven't even made a "real" post yet!

And it's not that I lack ideas. I've got a bunch of "seeds" written down in a corner. And a couple other posts I'd like to contribute on different blogs. And a couple "lessons learned" for our intranet. And another improvement idea I wanted to look into. And, and...

But I don't work on these things. I work on my project, of course. The project's got deadlines. The project means revenue for the company. The project has a worried manager asking me how things are going. The project is real.

Pretty much everyone at Macadamian will agree that process improvement matters. That we need to take some time to share our knowledge and our experiences. I've often heard "Gee, I wish I'd have heard that sooner." after talking about a past experience. And as such, we all believe it makes sense to "put some time away" to work on "internal matters".

In practice, however, it's not working too well. For me, anyway. How can I put everything on hold, even for a couple hours, knowing that the project needs me?

Now, ironically enough, if you, dear reader, are reading this post, it means I finally got enough relevant content to "go live". Huzzah! ;-) Nevertheless, I'd like to ask for suggestions on this topic. Are there tips & tricks that you've successfully been using to put some time away from your core project?

Side Note: In case you're wondering, the title is a Shakespeare quote... that I took from a Magic: The Gathering card. So I guess I'm more of a "geek" than a "nerd", am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment